You will focus on the following individuals:
- Joan Ash
- Nancy Lorenzi
- Ben Shneiderman
- Diane Forsythe
- Chuck Friedman
- Sue Bakken
- Patty Brennan
- Diane Skiba
- Danny Sands
- Lucian Leape
- Select and read at least one article from this week’s Learning Resources for at least five individuals listed above.
- Consider how the work of each individual has built upon the work of earlier pioneers in the informatics field.
- Assess the areas of growth in informatics research from the informatics pioneers you researched last week to the individuals you read about this week, and the ways in which health informatics has continued to evolve.
- Select one individual from this week you found to be of particular interest, and read at least one additional article written by him or her from the list provided in the Learning Resources.
- Conduct further research to determine recent contributions or additions to the individual’s research.
Post a brief summary of key contributions of the individual you selected. Explain which ideas/accomplishments you found to be most compelling, and why. Assess the evolution of the field of nursing informatics from the first group of pioneers (Week 1 Discussion) to the second generation of HIT nurse informaticists. Provide specific examples of how this evolution is evident in the field.
Ash, J. S., Berg, M., & Coiera, E. (2004). Some unintended consequences of information technology in health care: The nature of patient care information system-related errors. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 11(2), 104–112.
Ash, J. S., Sittig, D. F., Poon, E. G., Guappone, K., Campbell, E., & Dykstra, R. H. (2007). The extent and importance of unintended consequences related to computerized provider order entry. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 14(4), 415–423.
Ash, J. (1997). Organizational factors that influence information technology diffusion in academic health sciences centers. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 4(2), 102–111.