English Discussion 1
“Analyzing Essays that Offer Solutions to Problems” Please respond to the following:
• Read the three essays in Chapter 11 (“The Nursing Crisis; The Solution Lies Within,” “An Open Letter to the Community,” and “Request for a Work Schedule Change.”) Analyze the arguments and compare the effectiveness of their thesis statements, proposed solutions, and evidence.
• Identify which one you think is most effective. Explain.
English Discussion 2
“Mid-course Reflection” Please respond to the following:
• Discuss your overall perceptions of the Research and Writing course thus far. Describe the course concepts that either have seemed familiar or have confused to you. Determine the one (1) or two (2) specific concepts that you would you like explore further. Assist your classmates by sharing your knowledge in relation to their responses.
Economics Discussion 1
Firms like Walmart, Target, and Kmart are often given as examples of competitors. Ironically, these firms are not what an economist would define as perfectly competitive firms.
Why are these firms not perfectly competitive?
What are the conditions that create perfect competition?
Name or describe an example of a perfectly competitive good or firm.
Economics Discussion 2
Owning the Market”
In the lesson on oligopolies and monopolistic competition (The Whole Spectrum of the Market), Sal from Khan Academy creates a two-dimensional grid of the market types based on the number of competitors and the degree of product differentiation.
• Identify one monopoly from which you buy a good or service.
• Identify one oligopoly from which you buy a good or service.
• Identify one monopolistic competitor that you buy a good or service from.
• Share one effect you think these types of firms have on the quality of goods or services that you purchase. Is the quality affected positively or negatively? Provide a rationale for your answer.