Effective communication is vital to constructing an accurate and detailed patient history
Effective communication is vital to constructing an accurate and detailed patient history. A patient’s health or illness is influenced by many factors, including age, gender, ethnicity, and environmental setting. As an advanced practice nurse, you must be aware of these factors and tailor your communication techniques accordingly. Doing so will not only help you establish rapport with your patients, but it will also enable you to more effectively gather the information needed to assess your patients’ health risks.
For this Discussion, you will take on the role of a clinician who is building a health history for a particular new patient assigned by your Instructor.
With the information presented in Chapter 1 of Ball et al. in mind, consider the following:
· By Day 1 of this week, you will be assigned a new patient profile by your Instructor for this Discussion. Note: Please see the “Course Announcements” section of the classroom for your new patient profile assignment.
Case C 38-year-old Native American pregnant female living on a reservation
· How would your communication and interview techniques for building a health history differ with each patient?
· How might you target your questions for building a health history based on the patient’s social determinants of health?
· What risk assessment instruments would be appropriate to use with each patient, or what questions would you ask each patient to assess his or her health risks.
· Identify any potential health-related risks based upon the patient’s age, gender, ethnicity, or environmental setting that should be taken into consideration.
· Select one of the risk assessment instruments presented in Chapter 1 or Chapter 5 of the Seidel’s Guide to Physical Examination text, or another tool with which you are familiar, related to your selected patient.
· Develop at least five targeted questions you would ask your selected patient to assess his or her health risks and begin building a health history.
By Day of Week 1
1-Post a Summary of the Interview and a Description of the Communicationtechniques you would use with your assigned patient.
“Case C 38-year-old Native American pregnant female living on a reservation”
2-Explain Why you would use these techniques.
3-Identify the risk Assessment Instrumentyou selected and Justify Why it would be applicable to the selected patient.
4-Provide at Least Five targeted questionsyou would ask the patient.