Outline of the Final Paper
For this assignment you are to examine a topic of lifespan development connecting research and life. Below is a list of topics from which you are to select one for the Outline of the Final Paper and the Final Paper. Make sure that the topic you select is different from the topics you selected for the Week Two and Week Three assignments.
- What do twin and adoption studies tell us about the effects of nature (i.e., genetic influences) and nurture (i.e., environmental influences) on human development? Select at least one of the main domains of human development (i.e., physical, cognitive, or social-emotional).
- How much credit or blame do parents deserve for the way we are? Select at least one of the main domains of human development (physical, cognitive, or social-emotional) for your answer.
- To what extent are the lives of adolescents and young adults shaped by parental and peer influences?
- Why do we have a need to belong (to affiliate with others)?
- How do our bodies and minds change from early to late adulthood?
- What are the factors that affect our well-being as middle aged and older adults?
- Why are some people attracted to members of their own sex whereas others are attracted to members of the opposite sex?
- How do memory and intelligence change as we age?
- Does an infant’s temperament shape his/her cognitive and socio-emotional development?
- Are babies pre-wired for survival?
- Are adolescents more likely to engage in risk-taking behavior than older adults?
- Can physical exercise affect cognitive performance in old age? Consider the time of occurrence of physical exercise (i.e., earlier in life or during old age) in your answer.
- Are there personality traits related to longevity?
- Does bilingualism improve brain functioning?
- Why do students in the United States tend to under-perform in math and science?
Once you have chosen your topic, examine the various theories of human development learned in the course and choose one or two that best assist you to understand the issues involved in your topic.
Review the following APA Sample Outline Handout for information on creating an outline.For this outline, address the following:
- Examine various theories of human development, describing relevant terminology, and addressing how the theory assists in the understanding of issues involved in the selected topic.
- Identify and describe at least two domains of human development (physical, biological, emotional, cognitive, and/or social) and how they are impacted by the chosen topic.
- Identify and describe the stages of development that are affected by the chosen topic.
- Describe the cultural and historical perspectives of the chosen topic, demonstrating an understanding of how the topic has been perceived over time and by other cultures. Provide relevant examples.