Middle Range or Interdisciplinary Theory Evaluation
Assignment 2: Middle Range or Interdisciplinary Theory Evaluation
As addressed this week, middle range theories are frequently used as a framework for exploring nursing practice problems. In addition, theories from other sciences, such as sociology and environmental science, have relevance for nursing practice. For the next few weeks you will explore the use of interdisciplinary theories in nursing.
This Assignment asks you to evaluate two middle range or interdisciplinary theories and apply those theories to a clinical practice problem. You will also create a hypothesis based upon each theory for an evidence-based practice project to resolve a clinical problem.
Note: This Assignment will serve as your Major Assessment for this course.
- Review strategies for evaluating theory presented by Fawcett and Garity in this week’s Learning Resources (see under list of Required Readings and attached pdf file)
- Select a clinical practice problem that can be addressed through an evidence-based practice project. Note: You may continue to use the same practice problem you have been addressing in earlier Discussions and in Week 7 Assignment 1.
- Consider the middle range theories presented this week, and determine if one of those theories could provide a framework for exploring your clinical practice problem. If one or two middle range theories seem appropriate, begin evaluating the theory from the context of your practice problem.
- Formulate a preliminary clinical/practice research question that addresses your practice problem. If appropriate, you may use the same research question you formulated for Assignment #4.
Write a 10- to 12-page paper (including references) in APA format and a minimum of 8 references or more, using material presented in the list of required readings to consider interdisciplinary theories that may be appropriate for exploring your practice problem and research question (refer to the sample paper attached as “Assignment example”). Include the level one headings as numbered below:
1) Introduction with a purpose statement (e.g. The purpose of this paper is…)
2) Briefly describe your selected clinical practice problem.
3) Summarize the two selected theories. Both may be middle range theories or interdisciplinary theories, or you may select one from each category.
4) Evaluate both theories using the evaluation criteria provided in the Learning Resources.
5) Determine which theory is most appropriate for addressing your clinical practice problem. Summarize why you selected the theory. Using the propositions of that theory, refine your clinical / practice research question.
MY PRACTICE PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWED:
P: Patients suffering from Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
I: Who are involved in diabetic self-care programs
C: Compared to those who do not participate in self-care programs
O: Are more likely to achieve improved glycemic control
THE THEORIES USED FOR THIS MODEL ARE:
Dorothea Orem Self-Care Theory and The Self-Efficacity in nursing Theory by Lenz & Shortridge-Baggett, or the Health Promotion Model by Pender, Murdaugh & Parson (Pick 2)
McEwin, M., & Wills, E.M. (2014). Theoretical basis for nursing. (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Chapter 10, “Introduction to Middle Range Nursing Theories”
Chapter 10 begins the exploration of middle range theories and discusses their development, refinement, and use in research.
- Chapter 11, “Overview of Selected Middle Range Nursing Theories”
Chapter 11 continues the examination of middle range theories and provides an in-depth examination of a select set of theories
· Chapter 15, “Theories from the Biomedical Sciences”